Shawn Achor - the happy secret to better work

Shawn Achor - the happy secret to better work




Now that was cheating, because there was nothing in the world my sister would want morethan not to be Amy the hurt five year-old little sister, but Amy the special unicorn. Of course, this was an option that was open to her brain at no point in the past. And you could see how my poor, manipulated sister faced conflict, as her little brain attempted to devote resources to feeling the pain and suffering and surprise she just experienced, or contemplating her new-found identity as a unicorn. And the latter won out. Instead of crying, instead of ceasing our play, instead of waking my parents, with all the negative consequences that would have ensued for me, instead a smile spread across her face and she scrambled right back up onto the bunk bed with all the grace of a baby unicorn ...(Laughter) ... with one broken leg.
When I applied to Harvard, I applied on a dare. I didn't expect to get in, and my family had no money for college. When I got a military scholarship two weeks later, they allowed me to go. Suddenly, something that wasn't even a possibility became a reality. When I went there, I assumed everyone else would see it as a privilege as well, that they'd be excited to be there. Even if you're in a classroom full of people smarter than you, you'd be happy just to be in that classroom, which is what I felt. But what I found there is, while some people experience that, when I graduated after my four years and then spent the next eight years living in the dorms with the students -- Harvard asked me to; I wasn't that guy. (Laughter) I was an officer of Harvard to counsel students through the difficult four years. And what I found in my research and my teaching is that these students, no matter how happy they were with their original success of getting into the school, two weeks later their brains were focused, not on the privilege of being there, nor on their philosophy or their physics. Their brain was focused on the competition, the workload, the hassles, the stresses, the complaints.
Embedded within that question is the key to understanding the science of happiness.Because what that question assumes is that our external world is predictive of our happiness levels, when in reality, if I know everything about your external world, I can only predict 10 percent of your long-term happiness. 90 percent of your long-term happiness is predicted not by the external world, but by the way your brain processes the world. And if we change it, if we change our formula for happiness and success, what we can do is change the way that we can then affect reality. What we found is that only 25 percent of job successes are predicted by I.Q. 75 percent of job successes are predicted by your optimism levels, your social support and your ability to see stress as a challenge instead of as a threat.
I talked to a boarding school up in New England, probably the most prestigious boarding school, and they said, "We already know that. So every year, instead of just teaching our students, we also have a wellness week. And we're so excited. Monday night we have the world's leading expert coming in to speak about adolescent depression. Tuesday night it's school violence and bullying. Wednesday night is eating disorders. Thursday night is elicit drug use. And Friday night we're trying to decide between risky sex or happiness."(Laughter) I said, "That's most people's Friday nights." (Laughter) (Applause) Which I'm glad you liked, but they did not like that at all. Silence on the phone. And into the silence, I said, "I'd be happy to speak at your school, but just so you know, that's not a wellness week, that's a sickness week. What you've done is you've outlined all the negative things that can happen, but not talked about the positive."
But the real problem is our brains work in the opposite order. If you can raise somebody's level of positivity in the present, then their brain experiences what we now call a happiness advantage, which is your brain at positive performs significantly better than it does at negative, neutral or stressed. Your intelligence rises, your creativity rises, your energy levels rise. In fact, what we've found is that every single business outcome improves. Your brain at positive is 31 percent more productive than your brain at negative, neutral or stressed.You're 37 percent better at sales. Doctors are 19 percent faster, more accurate at coming up with the correct diagnosis when positive instead of negative, neutral or stressed. Which means we can reverse the formula. If we can find a way of becoming positive in the present,then our brains work even more successfully as we're able to work harder, faster and more intelligently.
(Applause)



當我申請哈佛就讀時,我其實是冒險一試 我不期望他們會接受我,我家也沒錢讓我讀大學 直到二個星期後我得到了軍方的獎學金,他們就讓我去了 突然,一件原本不可能的事成真了 當我入學時,我以為我的同學都會把能進哈佛當成殊榮 他們應該會很高興能入學 即使你整班的同學都比你聰明 你都該為了能在這個班而高興,至少我是這麼覺得的 但是我發現 雖然有些人的確這麼想 四年後當我大學畢業 然後又花了八年的時間跟學生們住在宿舍 -- 是哈佛要我住的;我不是那個郵包炸彈客 (笑聲) 哈佛聘雇我當指導老師,幫助學生度過這困難的四年我在我的研究及教學中發現 不管這些學生原本 對能成功入學這件事有多高興 入學二個星期後他們腦子專注的事,既不是這件殊榮 也不是哲學課或物理課 他們的腦子專注於競爭、工作量 麻煩、壓力、抱怨
我跟新英格蘭州的一間寄宿學校談過,這所學校大概是最有名的寄宿學校 他們說:「我們早就知道了 所以每年我們除了教學外,還有一個健康周活動 我們非常興奮。星期一晚上我們請了世界領先的專家 來談談青少年期的憂鬱 星期二晚上是有關學校暴力及罷凌的問題 星期三晚上則是飲食障礙 星期四晚上談毒品誘惑 星期五晚上討論危險性行為與快樂的抉擇。」(笑聲) 我說:「大部份人的星期五晚上都是這樣的。」 (笑聲) (鼓掌) 我很高興你們喜歡這個笑話,但是他們不喜歡 電話的那一頭默不作聲 為了打破僵局,我說:「我很高興能在你的學校演講 不過你知道,那不是健康周,那簡直是疾病周 你所做的其實是強調所有可能發生的負面東西 但是都沒有提到正向的東西。」
但其實我們的腦子是以相反的方式在運作的 如果你可以提升一個人目前的積極程度 那麼他的腦子會經歷我們稱之為"快樂優勢"的感覺 就是當你的腦部處於積極狀態 會比消極時、中立時或者處在壓力時 顯著表現更好 你的理解力提升,你的創造力增加,你的活動力也升高 事實上我們發現 每一種業務成效都進步了 你的創造力在你的腦部處於積極狀態時, 會比處於消極、中立,或者有壓力時,提高31% 銷售量提高37% 醫師如果感覺積極時, 會比處於消極、中立,或者有壓力時, 看診速度快19%,接下來的診斷也更精準 所以說我們要把公式反過來寫 如果我們可以找到讓當下就很積極的方法 那麼我們的腦子就會更靈活 我們就可以更努力、更快的工作,而且更明智

0 意見:

張貼留言